Sunday, May 4, 2008

it was a hard week to train

I am writing this from Silver City NM. I came here to work with the ValueAct Capital Women's Pro Cycling Team on Monday, April 28th to start the Tour of the Gila. The race started on Wednesday and we took the stage win on opening day and didnt relenquish it all week. We had one stage win, one second, one fourth, and the overall win. During the week, I only had a chance to run three times and rode one time on a bike too small for me on a trainer, and once on the road with a borrowed bike. The hills around here are long and plentiful. The ride was fun and it was great to get out on the road but on top of the hills, there was plenty of wind.... like 20mph steady headwinds no matter which way you turned. Challenging and painful but I got two hours in and I used a SRM power meter for the first time. I averaged 170 watts for 2:08 and maxed out at 650 watts during a seated climb (just to see how high I could get it) and now I want one. I didnt get a chance to swim; it wasnt convenient.
Overall, I had a great week. I got to run about 10 miles at 6200 ft elevation and ride up to 7200 ft. I am interested to see if it helps when I get back home. I have been here for 7 days but didnt exercise daily. We got up to 8000 ft or so I think but I wasnt doing much up there but watching bike races go by.
The team was great, the riders, the director, and the mechanic. I couldnt have asked for a better team to work for, it was truly a pleasure. They didnt over work me and they were very appreciative.
Heading home tomorrow, leaving Silver City for EL Paso, fly to Phoenix, then on to Portland. Should be home by 3:30pm, I cant wait to see STacey and the boys.
I need to write a race report for the WOU sprint Stacey and I did the weekend I left. I will get to that next week.

No comments: