Tuesday, August 12, 2008

broken bike, 1 week to IMC, what to do?????

Last time I rode my TT bike was during the Mid Summer Sprint Triathlon at Blue Lake. I had a good 20k TT, 33 minutes, but after I got home, I put it in the garage and have been riding my road bike. Today, I was going to get new aero bars put on it and have it dialed in before I head to Canada. After sitting on it while trying out new aero bars, I made a decision to go with the less expensive aluminum bars. AFter the mechanic started tearing things down, cutting cables to change out the bars, he called over Larry, the fit guy from Athletes Lounge that was doing my fit, and they whispered a bit, Larry said some things like "wow, that was the noise we heard", then called me over. I felt like I got kicked in the jimmy. I have a race in five days and another in 12 days and although I have a good road bike, its not like the TT bike.
I frantically called my Orbea connection and left a voice mail. One of their riders, a tall kid, broke his collar bone and isnt going to be riding his TT bike anytime soon so I thought i might be able to use it. More stress, waiting for the call back. I stopped on the way home, cracked my friends at Bike Central, but left my phone in the car. Of course, the phone call came while I was busy at the store. He suggested getting some photos so he can show them to his Orbea rep. I called AL, got Todd, the mechanic, to get some pics, and he emailed them to me. I got back tot he office, emailed him the pics, and waited.... more stress.
Got email from David, he said he had a large frame TT bike I could use til we got mine squared away. At least I have another option. Problem is, the bike wont be fit for me but at least it has the same geometry as my current broken steed.
So, stress level is lower, but Im still worried. Going to be bringing my Bianchi anyway, just in case.

No comments: