Sunday, August 31, 2008

IMC 08, Part 3, T2, seeing stars on the Run, Post Race fun and more pain

T2 was faster than T1, unusual for me because I have to put on my ankle brace. I wasnt in a hurry anyway. I had a little trouble getting off the chair but once I was up, put on my fuel belt, and put the left foot in front of the right, I was committed.

It was starting to rain a little when I went into the tent but by the time I was done changing, it was coming down pretty good. I wished I had put my jacket into my T2 bag instead of my special needs.

T2, 11:22, slow, but I changed all my gear again.

I knew when I got off the chair in the transition tent that I was going to make it. I had over 8 hours and if I couldnt run, I could walk it. I walked out of the tent, walked to the timing mat and started jogging. I immediately regretted the choice of taking my fuel belt. I didnt need it, there were aid stations every 1-2km and all I had in there was water and some ibuprofen so I should have left it where it was.

I didnt make it far jogging, my legs were still thrashed from all the climbing and I felt weak. I walked for a bit til I got to the crowds, then I picked it up again. I hate walking past crowds of people and even though I looked like I was jogging, my kids walk faster than I was moving at this point. I saw Varney, Jenn T, and another IH spectator (sorry, couldnt focus to see who you were) and they cheered me on while I was jogging but not long after I saw them, I started walking again. The lead pro male had finished just before I got on the run course and the lead woman was heading the same direction as me on her way to the finish. I still had at least 6 more hours to go, how sad.

I started seeing stars, not the ones in the sky or entertainment, but they kind that might be noticed just before one passes out. I kept walking til I got back from the out/back by the lake, then jogged again past the fans on main street. Again, I didnt get far before I couldnt see straight again. I think I walked in a straight line, but I am not sure. I dumped out two of my fuel bottles that were bothering me when I did jog and kept plugging along, a bit more comfortable.

Having said that, each time I tried to jog, I would feel light headed. Not the first time I had that feeling (at World's in June and at National's the week before and about 25 years before that after getting blind sided during one of my rookie tryouts with a hockey team). I was starting to get worried but unless I ended up on the deck, I wasnt stopping, walking didnt cause the feeling, just running.

I heard my name numerous times by people that knew me. I think Varney, but Im not sure, called to me from a balcony at some sort of pub or ?. Linnea called to be but had to tell me who she was. I couldnt see her even though she was close to the me. I dont remember what I said to her but I do recall talking and thanking her for the encouragement.



At around the 5 mile mark, I saw Stacey and Laura. I gave Stacey my fuel belt and my sunglasses, pretty confident I wouldnt be seeing the sun anytime soon. Stacey asked how I was feeling and I told her I was getting dizzy/light headed when I ran so she told me not to run, just walk and finish. The crowd was getting bigger and I decided to jog...... sometimes I am not very smart. As soon as I was past the crowd, I walked. Not long after that, I saw Kaytee and she was looking great. Looking at my watch, I knew she was going to have a great finish time.



Over the next 5 miles, I walked. I saw Bill T and walked across the road to have a quick chat and ask how he was. He said he was having issues but was pushing on and I shook his hand and kept moving.



I had a companion from Saskatchewan for a while. We laughed about the lack of hills to train for this race. His coach is Lisa Bently and he said he better get going otherwise Lisa was gonna kick his butt for "doggin' it". We both started running because the camera man was just ahead. He let me go first so we could have our own pics. I was surprised to find that I was not dizzy at all and I felt pretty darn good. Unfortunately, my leg started to feel very weak so instead of pulling the same stunt as I did at Nationals (falling on my face), I decided to walk and run when I felt like it. I saw Leanne S at one point right by the lake and she was on pace to have a great race too.

For the last 4 miles to the turn around, I had another companion to walk with. She was from Calgary and had some issues at TZ. She had been in Malaysia for a month with no training other than running so she stressed out during T2. She had already done IMC before and 5 other ones but she decided that quitting after finishing the toughest part of the race, was not going to happen, even if she had to walk.

Along the way, the aid stations and volunteers were great. Some had themes, Hallowe'en, Christmas, but ALL had enthusiastic people of every age. I couldnt get the one with the BBQ to give me a burger but when i went past one house, I was offered a beer. Another athlete, on his way back to town, stopped to talk to friends, and did down the last of his buddy's Corona. He said he wasnt able to run so he might was well finish walking back happier.

When we got to the turn around point, I was very happy to hear my number called out for my special needs bag because it had my jacket in it. Not that I was cold, but the sun was almost down and I knew it would be cooling off quickly. Blisters were forming over the past few miles. I guess its good that I cant feel my right leg because there was a pretty good blister on that foot. On the left, I get the same blisters each time I do a long run. The wet weather wasnt helping this much and regardless of the amount of body glide I put on my toes, the blisters are present.

Deb was at the turn around and gave me a hug and took some pics.





I walked a little more with Janet from Calgary then went our separate ways as she decided to run. I kept on keepin' on, walking and running when I felt like I was strong enough. I walked a bit with a guy from Kamloops and we talked hockey and it made time go faster. I got to the 35km mark and was running, feeling pretty good. I saw Stacey and Laura, what troopers!! I was a little emotional, Stacey said how proud of me she was and after a kiss, I kept running, feeling much stronger now. She said she would meet me at the finish. I said I hadnt pee'd ALL DAY and might need an IV after I got in. Oh, BTW, I used the porta potty at 630am and at 10pm, I hadnt gone all day.



Anyway, I was walking with another Calgarian, she was walking at a good pace and keeping up with her at a walk was challenging but it was making me closer to my goal. Of course, after some quick math, I knew I wouldnt beat my IMF time but I would beat my IMF marathon time.

Getting into town was phenomenal, so many people cheering. We got to the street along the lake by the Peach and one fan was encouraging us, "come on, 15 minutes maximum and you will be done, i guarantee you will be done in 15 minutes or less, come on, you can do it!!!!". My walking companion started running, so did I. She was faster but no worries, I wanted no one else in my finish photo anyway. Around that time, one of the blisters that were forming let loose and made for a squishy finishing run.

I heard my name called from the dark. It was Leanne, I went over for a high five but got a hug (thanks Leanne!). I walked a little more then ran the last 750m or so to the finish. The lights were very bright, almost blinding as I got on to the blue carpet to the finish. As in all races, my pace picked up and nothing could wipe the smile from my face as I went through the IM banner.



Run, 7:06:30, beat my IMF marathon time by 15 minutes. One day I will run the distance but probably not as part of an iron distance triathlon.

Overall, 15:50:00. 19 minutes slower than my IMF time but like everyone keeps telling me, FL is flat, IMC, not so much.

Deb was at the finish line and with her VIP credentials, she was able to 'catch' me. We got my shirt/hat and finisher medal, got my timing chip removed, and got out of the way. For the second time, I missed getting my pic taken at the finish line wearing my medal and the baked potato wrapper you get at the end.

Stacey was also at the finish but I didnt know that til after. I called her from Deb's phone and left a message to meet me. Deb and I went to the TZ to pick up my bags and bike. When we were almost out when Stacey found us. We stopped by the food tent, found Laura, and got to the car to head home.

It was tough to get out of the car, my legs had tightened up. It was around 1130pm when we got to the house. Stacey made me some food while I showered. After, I put on my Skins tights, lay down, and very happily, went to sleep.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Way to go!

+19 minutes from IM Florida to IM Canada = a decent improvement for sure!

Enjoyed reading the report!

MJ

Anonymous said...

Good lord, it seems like it was well over a week ago, doesn't it!? I've signed up for next year. What a crazy. LeAnne

Anonymous said...

Congrats again Darren. What an awesome experience. Great job dude!! Pete

Anonymous said...

It is awesome that you are out there doing the event and rocking it!! Something I will never do, since I don't do water! :-) Congrats a bit belated, but still proud of your accomplishment.