Monday, September 1, 2008

Season is over.... or is it?

Yesterday and today, I had two of the best, short workouts I have had in ages. I ran yesterday for the first time since IMC. I cannot believe how good I felt. I was on pace for a sub 10 minute mile. Mind you that was dog assisted, but even so, after the first mile, I still felt full of energy. Well, that nasty GI issue I continually get jumped out of its evil hiding spot. The problem with a spinal cord injury (SCI) at least for me, is I never know when I gotta go and it always seems to creep up when I need it LEAST. Like when Im having the best run of the year or during a wetsuit swim.

Today, I rode my MTB for the first time since March. I was inspired to ride it after sharing an email with Jaimie Whitmore. I had read about her illness in Competitor Magazine and Stacey suggested I share my story with her. I get all emotional when I talk about how I got hurt, not sure why, just the way I am I guess. It took me a while to write it and not long after I sent it, she wrote back. I basically said what happened to me and if I can help inspire her to get back on the provervial horse, then I have accomplished on of my goals. To help others that have had recent life altering injuries. Jamie's situation is much worse than mine; she has had cancerous tumors removed but the neurological issues are similar.

Anyway, I got on my MTB and 15 minutes later, I was back at the house, getting my roadie shoes and my TT bike. I remembered why I hadnt been on it for 7 months, it needs work. You know, the bike has grown on me since we were so up close and personal for 7 hours and 4 minutes last weekend. It hurt me, but I now respect it. Before I left for Canada, I was hating it and couldnt wait to get rid of it. Today, I think I will be keeping it. Its great for shorter distances which I will be focusing on next season.

My steed.

I had to get some groceries after my ride so I threw it in the truck, went to QFC, and rode from there.
Except for the dozen or so lights I had to stop at, I maintained a good solid output for an hour and I felt awesome. I climbed one hill and didnt have to granny gear up it. I was very pleased. Guess Im in good shape after all.

So, back to the title. The day after IMC, when we were driving back home, I thought I would just kick back, work out daily with weights or other cross training activities. Over the past few days, I got an itch to race at least one more time this year. There are a couple of Oly distance races near Seattle and of course, there is the CAF event in San Diego but that might be out of the budget for the year. If we can find someone to watch the boys, Stacey and I might both be racing as there is a sprint event too. I feel like I could kick ass on a sprint today but I should do the Oly distance. I have to save face from Nationals when I had the worst 10k ever.

No comments: