Saturday, September 13, 2008

2008 Paralympics

So, Im a good swimmer. In most of my races I am in the top 1/3 and Im good with that considering my swim training isnt as much as it should be during the tri season. I was reading my friend's blog today and he talked about this swimmer that won the gold medal for the 50m Fly.

This athlete has no arms, not even stumps, and he did the 50m fly in 37 seconds and change. I will let you read about from Meyrick as he is a better writer than I but I watched the youtube video of this guy and was amazed. Imagine every time you have to make a turn, you crack your skull on the end of the pool..... no thanks.

The unfortunate thing for the Paralympics is, at least in the US, the coverage is nil as far as I can tell. I havent found anything except for the paralympic.tv site but you cant change channels to watch other events so whatever is on at the time, is what you get. We had an Oregonian win a gold in the women's TT so it made it on the sports section of the news but thats all I have heard.

Maybe by 2012, they will have some better coverage. I sure hope so, because if I attain my goal of making the Canadian cycling team, I want my family and friends to be able to watch.

1 comment:

MJ said...

I wish I could find better youtube of him - that video is painful.... unless you speak chinese.