Thursday, October 23, 2008

Helmets for everyone

I have had my share of times riding without a helmet. Never went without on a MTB ride but there were times that I have driven to get to a road ride only to discover that I didnt have my helmet and rode anyway. One time I rode back home with a friend to get my lid and another time I just put my hat on backward and did my ride. There were times, however, where I wouldnt ride with friends because they didnt have a helmet, sort of hypocritical I know.

Sometimes after cleaning my bike or putting my race wheels on I would go up and down the road in front of my house all the while making the kids put their helmets on regardless of where they were riding. After this weekend, NEVER AGAIN will I get on my bike (except on the trainer) without having my helmet on.

On Saturday, October 18, Stacey got geared up to go for a ride. She put a backpack on with her running kit and set out for the gym, a mile or two away. About 20 minutes after she left I got a phone call from a woman I didnt know. She said she was with Stacey and she was OK and the paramedics were with her...... Holy crap, what the hell happened to her? Can I talk to her? Where is she?

I quickly got the needed info and left to go and get her. Both boys jumped in the truck without shoes because we were in a hurry which I later regreted. We drove down to where she was, past the fire truck, the ambulance, and the police Suburban. I was instructed to pull into a driveway down the hill and walk back up. As we drove past, I could see her on the spineboard with C-collar and all the other gear they put on you when they suspect a neck injury.

I didnt think about it but the boys saw her too. I told them to stay in the truck while I went up to talk to the police man and the paramedics. The woman that had called me was there and she helped me take Stacey's bike back to the truck. Again, not thinking about the boys being in there being able to see her lying on the spineboard and then being picked up to be put inside the bus. I said hi to Stacey and she said "I fell down". She asked how her bike was so I knew she was somewhat OK.

I talked to the paramedic briefly and he told me what they found and they were transporting her with lights and siren because of head trauma. She had an abrasion on her head but had her lid on when they got to her and because of her repeated questions about the same thing, I knew she got her bell rung pretty good.

I took all her gear back to the truck as they loaded her up and could hear the boys crying. They were very upset and in hindsight, I should have grabbed a neighbour to watch them while I went to see her. I calmed them down and we drove to the house to get some extra clothes and to get their shoes and Kelton's soccer gear just in case. I thought I could get someone to take him for me should i still be in the hospital with Stacey.

On the way, I left a voice mail for Stacey's parents because I thought they should know. I didnt say anything but to call me. They didnt need a VM saying their daughter was in the ER after a bike accident. We got to the hospital and the paramedic met me and asked for her helmet to show the ER doc then we went in. We were met by a chaplain and directed into a private room to talk to him. I wasnt very interested in that I just wanted to know what the situation was with Stacey.

Finally, the ER doc came in and told us what he found so far. She was going to get a CT scan but we could see her before they took her.

I took the boys in to her room and she was still in the C collar and still had blood on her head. Kelton didnt really want me to lift him up to see her but I lifted Taguen up so he could give her a kiss. She kept asking questions, the same ones over and over again. I really thought she was pulling my leg but apparently, she wasnt. Her melon was pretty shaken up and her memory wasnt working so well. Kelton stayed away and Taguen and I held her hand til she was taken to the CT.

We went to the cafeteria and after talking to her mom, we agreed they would pick up the boys. After a crappy $8 sandwich, the boys went with Papa, and I went to see Stacey.

The doc met me on the way in and said the CT was normal and as soon as they dressed her wounds, she could go home.

There were two nurses helping us, one was in her 40's, the other MAYBE in her 20's. The younger one was supposed to be dressing the road rash but what should have taken her 15 minutes max took almost 45 minutes. She missed a lot of blood but I was getting impatient and just felt like I could clean in better when we got home. She used some topical pain killer and got most of the ashphalt out of the wounds.

We finally were able to go home around 1pm and after picking up the boys and dropping Kelton at his game, we got Stacey home and into bed around 2pm.

In the week since she crashed. I dressed her wounds in some Tegaderm a couple of times and all the road rash is getting better. Her memory isnt so good right now but its getting better.

I started out just talking about helmets and how I have, at times, gone without but NEVER AGAIN will I do that (I think I mentioned that already). After seeing how Stacey's helmet saved her noggin from something more severe, Im a believer. Even test riding after switching wheels, helmet time. I wont roll my eyes at my wife when she tells me to wear my helmet even on those 2 second test rides, my lid is huge and it needs a protectin'.

On a positive note, Stacey can go out for Hallowe'en as a busted up cyclist with fresh wounds.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Scary story. I am glad to hear that it sounds like she'll be OK. I hope the kids are feeling better now too. (Hopefully they got scared enough to always slap a lid on too.)

Best wishes to you all and I hope her recovery is speedy.

Meyrick

PC Ironman said...

Thanks, she is doing much better overall. Her memory is slowly coming back about the events but there are things she wont remember Im sure. The boys never even sit on their bikes without helmets but I am thinking seeing Mom on a spineboard gave them all the reinforcement they needed.