Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cyclocross, why didnt I do this before?


Getting ready to go up some stairs, carrying my bike, WTF??

I decided on Tuesday to race on Sunday. My first ever cyclocross (CCX) race. I was a tad nervous. Not because of learning how to race cross, not because of a fear of crashing, but having to dismount my steed in a hurry. Turns out, Im pretty good at getting off it fast, however, getting back on is another story. Well, getting on, isnt exactly the problem either, its getting the left foot back into the cleat without stopping to do so. All in all, I think there were about 5 dismount sections including a rock barrier, a double, a single with a short steep hill after it, a single with a hairpin turn immediatly after, and a set of stairs. I may have missed one but no matter, it amounted to 20 times over 4 laps. The only time I fell was when I had to dismount for the short hill anyway so I just kept going. The crappy part about falling was having my left leg stuck in the cleat with mud and grass so it was tough to get up and start running up the hill.

So, the race was started at 9am. I raced in the beginner category based on advice from veteran cross racers. I started near the front because in my experience from MTB racing, getting the hole shot or near it, is a good thing. The first tricky part was about 40 seconds from the gun. Its a downhill in the grass and slick dirt. I wouldnt have called it muddy at this time but it was going to be before too long. The descent was what I expected on the first lap. Lots of fast people on the flats hit it before I did and I had to use my brakes. Later in the race, I would be passing people down said hill that were on full suspension MTB's and were too chicken, I mean cautious, to let it fly.

The first lap is all about spreading people out. About half way through, I was wondering what the hell I was doing out there (as can be seen on my face in this picture).
My WAR FACE!!

My cleats were not very muddy at this time but they were getting there. I thought I was doing OK, but my HRM was telling me otherwise as it read 189bpm. I decided to ignore that little bit of feedback and concentrate on slowing down, pacing myself, and having fun.

There were a few people from Camas there waiting to race and cheering me on. They kept yelling things like "keep going, you still have 10k to run", etc. Good times. That first lap, as I said, was hell. After I got in a groove, I pushed on, getting passed mostly on the uphills and on the remounts after the barriers. I think on the first lap, I would have had the energy to bunny hop a few of the barriers but not being used to a road bike in the mud, I didnt even attempt it.

I dont think I have heard so much cowbell in my life. It was like there was a sale at Walmart on them. About 1 in 10 seemed to have one. Around my 3rd time in the velodrome, I heard the announcer say that the lead riders were almost at the finish. I was kind of hoping at that time that I would get lapped so I could save my legs and shoulders for another race but alas, I did one more. I think the first one took me about 12 minutes and given that I did 4, I felt pretty good. The lead riders did 5 and when I looked at the stats for the Clydesdales, only a few did 5 so I think Im moving cat's. I finished in 112th place...... By far my worst ever finish in any kind of bike race but I didnt come in last. There were a few DNF's and Im glad I wasnt one of them although at times, again, I was wondering what I was doing out there in the rain and the mud on a road bike and thought abuot just riding to my truck.

Some observations of CCX riders.... most of the guys show up in capri pants although Im sure they call them something different when a guy wears them. Some race in some weird get-ups, some wear team uni's, VERY few shave their legs, even fewer shave their faces or get hair cuts. One guy that started at the front had about 20lb of dreadlocks wrapped up in some sort of cloth and tucked into his jersey pocket. One dude was wearing green and white striped socks like the wicked witch of the west. There are less attitudes than at a road race. There seems to be a lot of weed smoked prior to racing, not that I smelled any, but more like the way some people act. The people parked next to me were very friendly before and after the race. They gave me a home made oatmeal chocolate chip walnut bar that really hit the spot after the race. Dave and Sarah I think were their names. the guy parked on the other side of me, sorry to say I dont remember his name, but he found me after the race to see how I liked it. He got the holeshot and led the race for the first lap. This was his 3rd CCX race and he had never led a lap before so he was pretty pumped about it. All in all, everyone I met was very helpful, pleasant, and happy to be there and I think I want to be part of this "cult" (as so many CCX'ers call it) and race again next week in Wilsonville.
Jumping across a barrier AWAD style!!

2 comments:

MJ said...

Nice dude.... like the war face.

Looks like fun.

ironmom said...

What a race! Can't believe you still like to ride your bike in the mud. When you were a kid and came in all muddy after bike riding I never thought I'd see you doing it 30+ years later. :)
Way to go, Darren!! Another accomplishment this year!
Love, Mom