Wednesday, December 5, 2007

More goals, future paralympian??

Ever since my life was changed by a surgical procedure gone awry, I have been trying to find things that I can be competitive in with people that have like injuries. This is how I found the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Recently, just for fun, I was looking at the results for the World Paralypic Cycling Championships. Im not sure what my classification is just yet (Im working on that detail), but I think I could be competitive with the class I think I am in. With proper coaching (thanks Scott), I know I can achieve this new goal of mine-making the Canadian Paralympic Team. I have been talking via email to the Canadian Cycling director for the Paralympic program and he has been very positive about the possibility of me competing for my country. First thing I have to do is get classified, then start earning points via UCI registered events. The only problem with that is the cost of traveling to events. At age 41, I am excited about the prospect of becoming a member of the national team but I am not getting my hopes up just yet. I have to be diligent about my training while maintaining a good relationship at home. Its a delicate balance but I think I can do it.

No comments: