Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New training program, dreams, Kona

Yesterday, I started on the latest installment of my triathlon training. With a new goal, the Canadian Paralympic Cycling Team, I had coach Scott (www.f9tc) design a program with early season time trials as the focus. The times for the national team in the 20k were in the low 30 minute range. My best 20k without doing much training was 36 minutes. As I said, with proper training, I think I can do much better. I have great equipment in my bike and race wheels, I have one good leg, so I think I can power to a low 30 minute finish. My friends Jen and Dean at Bike Central have offered to help me learn to ride on the track as this is something else I think I could excel at. Although the 2008 Paralympics are out of reach, the Pan Am games and World Championships are not. I am looking into going to Montreal in May to be classified and race for the first time against other physically challenged athletes.
I emailed NA Sports for the second time in as many years about adding an additional category to their PC division. The ITU, International Triathlon Union, has a category that I fit into and I am lobbying for NA Sports to adopt it as well. Last year they basically said I wasnt PC enough to compete in the PC division. Granted, I am not going to be breaking any land speed records but at least I might be able to get the elusive Kona spot without having to go the lottery route. Wish me luck

No comments: