Friday, June 6, 2008

low back pain and what to do 13 hours before a big race

Wow, 13 hours before one of the most exciting events of my tri career and my low back is tightening up as I write this. I felt GREAT this morning when I got up. Im thinking that I slept on my stomach for part of the night last night but the tightness didnt start til about 4 hours after I got up. I ran for 15 minutes and have never felt better. I changed to my cycling gear and met one of my Ironhead team mates, Lindsay, for a ride around the bike course at 10am. Not long after we finished the ride, my back started to seize. I rode over to the chiro office I had gone to when I arrived but they couldnt see me til later. I rode back to the hotel, checked in, unpacked all my gear, showered and then headed back to their office. A little lunch stop on the way, rice, chicken, some sauce I probably shouldnt have eaten, and some water. Oh, and a chocolate chip cookie, Im a weak man, what can I say? I got to the office early, they got me right in and a very new DC started working on me. I have to tell you, it didnt feel REMOTELY like the last treatment I got from his co-worker. When I got up, I felt a little better but as I walked, the muscles started tightening again. This time, it wasnt worth the money I spent.

I have been stretching and trying to do pelvic tilts and hopefully this will help. Perhaps walking around and standing still so much at the Pasta Party caused my back to tighten, who knows, but I am hoping the stretching will help. Im off to take my bike to the transition area now and then waiting for my sister to show up so we can have dinner and then back to the hotel for more stretching and resting.

More on the LBP later

No comments: