Monday, July 21, 2008

Running....... right in the middle

A few months ago, my team mate Dave, wrote about staying out of the middle. After reading the first sentence, I thought he was talking about the middle of the lane when he was doing lap swims, but after reading on, it was apparent he meant training zones. It was an interesting read and on all my long runs, I think about that.
I have a good coach and follow his workouts as closely as possible. I have only really been running for the past year and its a whole new experience for me. I cant actually tell where the "middle" is for me since it all feels difficult. I can tell my fitness is better as my HR is lower when I am running and when I feel like Im going harder, the HR stays lower than it did back in Janurary. Having said that, I dont feel tired, but I also dont feel like I can go much faster for very long. I did a 2.5 hr run/walk session yesterday (30min warm up run followed by 3 sets of 20 min walk/run) and on the 20 minute runs, I was maintaining 11min/mile pace. My ave HR was 149 for those sets and to me, that is in the "middle". When I push it a little harder, I can only maintain that for a short time so I just stay where Im at and finish the run. What can I do to go faster? I would love to run with someone but no one I know that runs does less than 8-9 min/mile so that wouldnt be much fun for either of us.
For IMC, that will be fine but for Canadian Nats, I want to be able to do a sub 60 minute 10k. Unfortunately, if I try to push that, I think I might be hurting myself for IMC but I guess I wont know til Aug 24th. On that note, I think this will be my last IM distance for a while. The training schedule is tough and I think I have proved to myself that I am able to do the distance already. I dont mind the HIM and OLY distances, they are fun to train for but 20 hr training weeks are hard on me and my family.

No comments: