Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Training in humidity and heat

So, I got back from World's, worked a couple days, then got on the plane for a much needed vacation to Mazatlan. We had been looking forward to this vacation for a looooooooong time as we usually go there some time between January and March but this year, with Stacey's brother being gone, we waited for his return. We went 5 days before the rest of the family and had a great time. Both of us are training for something so we took turns watching kids and swimming or going for a run.




The biggest issue (which we couldnt wait for actually) with our trip being in June is the heat and humidity. We left Portland when it was in the mid 50's with minimal humidity and landed in Mazatlan in high 80s with almost 90% humidity. Kind of drastic change. I was trying to get my run's in early but happy hour got the best of me most nights so running before 8-9am didnt happen. I thought that I would aclimate (like to the altitude in New Mexico), but by the end of the trip, I was still having trouble running for longer than 20 minutes without my HR spiking into the 170's on a flat, easy trail. Nonetheless, out of 12 days, I think I ran 7 times but only swam a couple of times.




Swimming had to be done early as the pool got busy after 9am. I got in one good swim of about 45 minutes, around 2000m, and another shorter one, but all in all, I spent on average 5 hours a day in the water. My boys probably spent 9 hours a day in the water; either the pool or the ocean, which meant Stacey or I had to be in or near the water at the same time. I had originally planned to swim in the ocean but with three shark attacks in a month (yeah, I know, Acapulco is 1000k south), I got a little nervous about that. Better safe than sorry. Stacey, on the other hand, was swimming every second or third day, what a trooper!








Well, I never did aclimate to the heat, not a good sign for me as both Nationals and IMC are in the Okanagan, a very hot BUT dry place. Having said that, we are starting to get normal weather here so I am trying to get out in it as much as possible, usually at the hottest part of the day, so I can get used to it. All in all, it was a great trip, but I missed my bike :)




No comments: