Wednesday, November 14, 2007

San Diego Triathlon Challenge 2007

This year on November 1 was the five year anniversary of my injury. A lot has happened in five years. My most proud accomplishments have been the completion of three half iron distance triathlons and an Ironman. Two of the half iron distance events were in La Jolla for the SDTC. This year I was going to do a relay and just do the swim portion of the event so I could enjoy the expo but mother nature and apparently some criminals prevented that. The event was cancelled three days prior to the scheduled date due to the wildfires that damaged Southern California.

I was a little disappointed in one way as I was really looking forward to the inspiration I always got from watching challenged athletes compete. I am a PC athlete myself but I have all my limbs and I dont use a wheelchair so I am in awe of those less fortunate than I when it comes to injury. On the other hand, I was happy to not add to the chaos that was happening in the San Diego area.

My swim training was not what it could have been but I know I would have been able to pull off a 35 minute swim even with the limited pool time I had. I am lucky to be able to swim well without too much effort but for the 2008 season, I plan on working towards a sub 30 min swim time in the half IM distance. I thought about joining the local Masters club but I don't know if I can make the swim times. At the same time, I like the coach Bert, and think he can help me attain my goal time. I have been swimming with a wetsuit or pull buoy for so long, I will need to really work hard to be able to swim without either one so I can be more efficient when I have to wear my suit.

Tomorrow Im swimming with a couple of friends something I hope to be able to do regularly. I am much faster than they are which makes it easy for me to transition to swimming device free.

No comments: